Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Horror Host Homework

After thinking about the Oscar award winning films I've seen (and more specifically not seen), it got me thinking about what movies I HAVE watched, and in particular the horror movies I've seen. Before I started this gig as a TV horror host, I really hadn't seen a lot of horror movies. I had seen the basic Universal package - Frankenstein, Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. I had also seen a pretty good selection of mainstream 80s and late 70s movies, as well as a scattering of rentals from video stores. But when it came to low budget, obscure, or foreign films, I really was pretty much a novice.

I made up ground quickly, however, especially where low budget public domain films are concerned. I have easily watched hundreds of horror movies over the past 9 years, and I'd be scared to see an exact count. I devoured movies over those first few years, watching them whenever I got a chance, doing my homework, so to speak. It was like a new love, when you just can't get enough of each other.

I have always felt that was one thing that added to the success of my show. I was genuinely excited about the films I was showing, and often times was seeing these films for the first time along with the viewer. It was always my philosophy to never assume anything when it came to the viewers. For instance, I never assumed the viewers knew Lon Chaney Jr. played the Wolfman, or that his father played the Phantom of the Opera. I think that is one thing that made my show so accessible to younger viewers.

As many movies as I've watched over the past few years, there are still many more I want to see. For instance, I just borrowed the Coffin Joe movies from my friend Troy (Thanks Troy!) and look forward to seeing those for the first time soon. I haven't seen the Blind Dead movies, or many of the Naschy films, or a lot of Bava films. But I will eventually.

In a way, I feel lucky to see a lot of these for the first time as an adult, when I can truly appreciate them on multiple levels. It gives me something to share with my viewers, and keeps it fresh for me.

Now excuse me while I go fire up that Coffin Joe film!!

No comments:

Post a Comment